Question:

From Dublin, Ohio, USA:

School bus drivers are not required to give glucagon (nor are they comfortable with that, I'm sure). They don't keep a meter on the bus, so treatment would be based on my son "feeling low." What is the best information to give to school bus drivers? What is the best treatment to store on the bus?

Answer:

In the days before glucose monitoring was available, we used to just treat the symptoms. My best advice would be to provide them with a list of your son's symptoms of hypoglycemia and ask them to give him something should these occur. I would keep things like three-ounce juice boxes, glucose tablets, and packages of peanut butter and crackers on the bus. A small card with symptoms listed and appropriate amounts of carb to be given should do the trick! You can always correct a high (should it occur) later. Better to be safe than sorry.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare