From Toronto, Canada:

I have type 1 diabetes, am using an insulin pump, and I just started in-vitro fertilization yesterday with a shot of 200 units of Puregon. My blood sugars since that first shot last night have been all over the map, and I have doubled my basal insulin dose in the past 24 hours. I do see an endocrinologist, but she really can't give me much information on insulin dosage -- it's basically trial and error in my situation.

There appears to be a bit of a desert on the Internet when it comes to information about diabetes and in-vitro! I am hoping you can send me some information, some links to useful information about the effects of in-vitro on women with diabetes, and/or the success rates of in-vitro in women with diabetes. Obviously the sooner you can get me some information, the better!

I spoke with a reproductive endocrinologist colleague. She has managed several women with diabetes through the IVF process without running into difficulties during ovulation stimulation. She suggested that some programs add dexamethasone [a steroid] during the stimulation. Dexamethasone might explain why your blood sugars became suddenly out of control.

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

I checked with a reproductive endocrinologist, and was told that most IVF practices don't use dexamethasone, but apparently a few still do. You should check with the IVF program and ask if you received dexamethasone and if so, ask that you get the Puregon. alone in the future.

Posted to Family Planning