Question:

From Maine, USA:

I'm a teenager with type 2 diabetes, and a class I am in at my school is planning a trip to the fair. Can you give me some tips on what to have and what not to have? How much cotton candy or popcorn should I should have? I like doughboys and fried dough so I am wondering if I can still have some of it.

Answer:

If you want my advice on 'fried dough' and 'cotton candy', it's 'none', but discuss all this with your diabetes team dietitian.

I rather assume that you have the most common form of type 2 diabetes which is strongly linked to being overweight and not getting enough exercise, although I also note that you take insulin. I assume, by the way, that you really have type 2 diabetes and have had routine antibody tests to exclude type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes, because it isn't always easy at onset to tell the two types apart on clinical grounds alone.