From New York, New York, USA:

I'm 33 years old, white, extremely non-sedentary, and there is no history of diabetes in my family. My only "vice" is alcohol. Recently, I have been training for the marathon in addition to skipping meals and drinking. A week ago, I felt dizzy and light-headed, and, over the last few days, I have been urinating frequently and experience a gnawing hunger (especially just after eating). My symptoms seem to be getting a little better each day. Do my symptoms merit suspicion of diabetes or hypoglycemia?

Your relative risk is low. If the symptoms go away, you are fine. However, if they do not, and you continue to urinate frequently, out of proportion to your fluid intake, I would have a fasting glucose level taken. It is a pretty easy test to have done and will remove the worry.

[Editor's comment: See Testing for Diabetes and Symptoms of Diabetes at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]