From Lansing, Michigan, USA:

I am 18 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 14 months, and I am in good control of my blood sugars (hemoglobin A1c: 6-8-7.5). My concern is that, for the last three or four months, I have noticed a mildly severe hair loss. (My roommate has noticed it as well and has asked me about it so I'm not just imagining it!) I have been suffering from bad headaches, and I have been feeling very tired and run-down, no matter how much sleep I get. I wake up, eat breakfast, and am already thinking about taking a nap.

I am currently a full time college student, and working part time as well as doing internships, so this worn-out feeling just isn't fitting in to my schedule very well. I have heard of older people with diabetes (mainly type 2 diabetes) having hair loss, but at only 18 years old I am beginning to be a bit concerned. I have also done a bit of research on the Internet and have found these symptoms to be the same for thyroid problems. Is this normal for young people with diabetes? (I also have hereditary spherocytosis, which is a genetic blood disease, and have had my spleen and gall bladder removed. Needless to say, this makes my immune system weaker than it already is with diabetes!)

It is possible that your thyroid is underactive which is quite common in type 1 diabetes. A quick blood test will sort it out. Also, alopecia (hair loss) is sometimes seen as a separate problem. Tell your doctor about your symptoms.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Thyroid