From Montana, USA:

My 10 year old son has had type 1 diabetes since he was five years old, and we have had a problem in getting him under control. We monitored his diet and changed his doses several times, and he still runs 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L] in the morning, but after he gets to school, his blood sugar goes high.

The doctor we have gets very disgusted in me, says I am not following his recommendations and has now sent a referral into social services and had my son removed from my home. This has caused tremendous stress on myself and my son. I have requested that his insulin be changed and said that he is being treated as an adult which falls on deaf ears to fall. I was charged with medical neglect. I have limited medical care services, being from an Indian reservation, so I have to go through the Indian health clinic. Any tips on what I can do to undo this mess?

Clearly, you have two problems, one of custody of your son and the other of his diabetes control, but without a lot more information I don't think we can help with either issue. I did talk to one of our social workers about all this who had no solution either. If you wanted to contact us again with information on details of your son's insulin dose and his last hemoglobin A1c I think we could be more useful.

Posted to Other Social Issues