From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

My two year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago, is currently taking NPH with Regular twice daily, and he has extreme swings from highs to lows. We count each carb to the gram., and we have a very strict meal/snack schedule that we rarely to never stray from. However, we can't get his sugar levels under control; we never know what the meter will read. He doesn't feel well with these huge swings.

The hospital is now talking with us about basal/bolus therapy, but we are still very overwhelmed with this diagnosis and just aren't sure of the options available to us and what's best for our two year old. How do we know what therapy is right for our two year old son?

Two year year old children are difficult to manage. I would use the basal/bolus approach, with a fair amount of basal insulin and try not to push the glucose too far.

Posted to Insulin and Daily Care