Question:

From Pakistan:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes seven months ago and takes premixed insulin twice daily. I heard about a type of insulin which is effective for 24 hours, and at least I can save her from one shot. Is this true?

Answer:

Lantus is a new insulin which provides basal needs for all or nearly all the 24 hours. It has to be given as a separate injection at bedtime or at breakfast. In addition, a very short acting insulin (Humalog or NovoLog) is given right after meals to cover the post meal rise in blood sugar and the dose is adjusted for the pre-meal blood sugar and the amount of 'carbs' (carbohydrate calories) consumed.

[Editor's comment: Using Lantus and short-acting insulin at mealtimes (as Dr. O'Brien suggests) will increase the number of shots your daughter would have to take, but would increase the flexibility and probably improve her diabetes control. WWQ]

DTQ-20031004121755C
Posted to Insulin Analogs