Question:

From Brandon, Manitoba, Canada:

My four year old son has type 1 diabetes, and I need some advice on how to explain it in the simplest terms to a classroom of preschoolers. The other classmates range from three to five years old, and I have been asked to come to talk about diabetes. I want to keep things simple, and I do not want to scare these young children.

Answer:

You are right to try for the most simple explanation. Try using the Novo Nordisk "Sam and Sally" coloring books (found at this website) to explain how children take care of diabetes.

BS

[Editor's comment: See: Books and Videos for Children and Teens. SS]

Posted to School and Daycare