From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

I will be taking my 12 year old son in for a flu shot soon, and his pediatrician's office said that he would be covered for the entire flu season if he got one in October. However, when I called an urgent care center to schedule my high schooler's flu shot (He gets his there so that he won't miss school time.), they told me to wait until November because the flu shot only lasted three months. Last year, my children got flu shots in October, but my son with diabetes did contract it anyway in February. I just wanted to know your thoughts on when the best time to get the shot would be due to conflicting information.

October or November are the best months to vaccinate for influenza. I would recommend that you proceed with his vaccination. See Influenza Vaccine Information 2003-2004.

[Editor's comment: Also see Flu Shots at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Other Medications