Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I have just found out that I am four weeks pregnant. Is it safe to continue taking Glucophage XR [metformin] during pregnancy? Are there any possible risks to the baby?

Answer:

Oral hypoglycemic agents are not recommended during early pregnancy. However, patients with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome have been treated during pregnancy since there is some evidence that it may reduce the incidence of miscarriage. No adverse outcomes have been reported, but these were small studies. The least risky approach is to switch over to insulin which is the standard of care for diabetes in pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning and Pills for Diabetes