From Holland, Michigan, USA:

I am 33 years old, have had hypothyroidism since I was 19, and my eight and a half year old son has type 1 diabetes. I have always had problems with food, and don't like to eat very much. I belch constantly and sometimes wake in the middle of the night with terrible stomach pain, and I vomit for a few hours. I haven't been able to pinpoint any certain foods that make me feel worse; everything seems to not agree with me. A few years ago I had an upper G.I. and some other tests, but they couldn't find anything wrong.

Since my son has diabetes, I do lots of research and have come across celiac disease. I recently heard that some people can have this disease, but they are so used to feeling lousy that they don't realize how badly they always feel. My bowel movements are not regular by any means. Is this something I should ask my doctor about getting checked for?

Clearly, celiac disease seems to be an underdiagnosed problem and has been associated with type 1 diabetes. I think if you are having GI problems, you need to see your doctor to see why you are not feeling so well. There are many reasons for not feeling well. In addition, that may affect your body's ability to absorb your thyroid medication and further contribute to any GI symptoms.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Other Illnesses