Question:

From Rosenberg, Texas, USA:

My 14 year old son's doctor told us he had a beginning stage of diabetes, and we don't understand a lot. However, my mother passed away with diabetes, and my sister also has it. How do I explain to a 14 year old how bad diabetes is?

Answer:

Please feel free to look at all the past questions on our site to assist you in understanding diabetes in general.Tell your son that diabetes is not his fault and that he can control it. Research toward a cure is ongoing. There is hope! Tell your son you will help him as he learns to manage his diabetes and that he is not alone. Most of all, try to hook him up with another teen who has had diabetes for a while and who has good control. Ask your doctor to recommend someone and get in touch. Peers are very helpful to newly diagnosed teens.

CMB