Question:

From Mineral, Virginia, USA:

Since approximately a year ago, my six year old grandson has four tonic-clonic seizures for unknown reasons. and he has been two medications. There is no family of seizures, but there is some diabetes. I have always wondered if this is a sugar problem because he had a blood sugar of 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L] after one of them (at 10 pm), and by 6:00 am the following day, it was still 125 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L]. I don't know what's normal, and they said that's not for me to worry about. Just before he has the seizure he has odd cravings for milk,,juice, and water. He also craves fresh fruit and pees a million times per day. He doesn't usually care for milk any more, but he will drink a gallon in one day just before the seizure.

Here is what I notice. A week before a seizure, my grandson can't get enough to drink. He pees a lot (unusual for him) to the point at which he will have an accident in his pants. He seems tired, flushed, just mean and cranky. He gets headaches, but if he gets juice like orange juice to drink, it goes away.

I am worried about this sweet boy and no one is listening. I asked the neurologist who says he says that sugar problems cannot cause seizures and to to ask the pediatrician. I have asked the pediatrician to run a diabetes test, but he says it's not needed. Do you think there may be a sugar problem? Is it worth checking out?

Answer:

This sounds like a complicated question that would be best addressed by a patient pediatrician that has the time to deal with a complicated issue. I agree that your grandson may benefit from testing for diabetes if it has not already been done. He also would benefit from a pediatrician who is able to manage so many difficult issues and take the time necessary to address them all to your satisfaction.