From Morrinsville, North Island, New Zealand:

I'm a 15 year old girl, and have had type 1 diabetes for around 13 years now. I have noticed that in the recent months I have put on a lot of weight. I am 165 centimeters (about 64 inches) tall and weigh around 68.3 kilograms (about 143 pounds); apparently I don't look fat or anything, but I feel like I have gained a lot of weight in that short time. I power walk every day for around 30-50 minutes, and eat really healthy. Is there anything I can do?

If you have good metabolic control (and actually I don't know from what you write to us) based on a correct insulin regimen, the weight gain over the last months might be a sign that some nutritional suggestions are first required -- probably as the caloric intake is concerned -- followed by a parallel adjustment in your insulin regimen and dosages. Ask a dietitian trained in the care of adolescents with type 1 diabetes for further help.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss