Question:

From Australia:

I am thinking of doing some volunteer work which would take me to third-world countries. I was wondering how to find out which countries will have insulin supplies available as the posting would be for up to two years.

Answer:

Although it would't be so very hard to organise, I know of no accessible table that lists third world countries and diabetes supplies. My own experience has been that Embassies do not provide good information on this topic, so I would suggest contacting the manufacturers of your insulin, syringes, etc. The local representative would probably be glad to help you. In the meantime, you need to find out about things like refrigeration, medical support in an emergency and how easy it would be to ship supplies from home, etc.

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

I know Lilly and Novo have websites with information on other countries. I expect it is a changing situation and that may be the best approach. Likewise, most physicians can ask the particular company if you give notice. The most important detail is strength of insulin and actual name in the country of travel.

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Diabetes Forecast, and I think Diabetes Interview as well as Diabetes Self Care all have annual issues with such master lists of manufacturers names, addresses, etc.

Additional comments from Jane Seley, diabetes nurse specialist:

Would the annual list of diabetes products in Diabetes Forecast help?

JS

Posted to Traveling