From Texas, USA:

We just found out that my 18 month old granddaughter has diabetes. She is in a very good children's hospital and is a lot better now, but she has to be on insulin after she is discharged. There was a two party income in the household but soon to be one. It is necessary for the mother to stay home and care for the baby because she will need very special care and cannot be left with sitters or other family members. Will this child be able to draw disability income or some type of income?

[Editor's comment: Rather than quit her job entirely, I'd suggest the mother request family medical leave. She can stay at home until she feels comfortable with diabetes management and then train others to care for your granddaughter. I know of many children this age who are cared for by sitters, daycare centers, or other family members so a parent can continue to work. SS]