Question:

From Roseville, California, USA:

The pediatrician say my 12 year old daughter (5 feet, 159 pounds) has above average insulin levels in her body with normal sugar levels, and that she frankly does not have type 2 diabetes. However she want to refer her to an endocrinologist. What will an endocrinologist do for my 12 year old daughter?

Answer:

From the little information you give us, there is no easy answer. You say, for instance, that your child has insulin levels above average, with normal blood sugars, without saying if this is at baseline or during a challenge. So I suppose that these values you referred (insulin and blood glucose levels) are taken only at baseline, and I think that your daughter's doctor wants to refer her to an endocrinologist for a careful investigation of glucose metabolism not only during fasting but also after a glucose load.

It appears that your daughter is slightly overweight (for her height, she should weigh about 125-130 pounds). When someone is overweight, it is common to see impaired insulin metabolism with values above average. Insulin resistance is common in overweight persons, and much more common during adolescence (a period when insulin resistance is quite physiological in all teens).

While insulin level could be above average and the blood glucose levels are in the normal range (at least fasting), they could be impaired after a glucose load. So it is important for your daughter to undergo an oral glucose tolerance test to measure blood sugar levels not only at baseline (fasting condition) but also during and after glucose load.

AS