Question:

From Australia:

I am an 18 year old girl who has had type 1 diabetes for just over two years, and I have put on approximately 10 kg (22 pounds) in the past nine to ten months. I am quite tall so it's not terribly noticeable, but I notice it, and I'm really uncomfortable about my weight now. I would love to be able to lose what I've put on, but I've found that, because of my final year of school and all the study that comes with it, it's hard to find the balance between food, exercise and insulin. Is there any way that I can lose the weight? I try to walk/run for one-half per day, and once the final exams are over. I will be going back to regular dancing and more exercise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I am worried that I am not going to be able to lose the weight again.

Answer:

If you have good metabolic control based on a correct insulin regimen, you'll need some nutritional adjustments (probably the caloric intake) followed by a parallel adjustment in your insulin regimen and dosages. Ask a dietitian trained in the care of adolescents with type 1 diabetes for further help.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss