From Seagoville, Texas, USA:

My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within the past month, and the doctor put him on a 2000 calorie diet. I am on the Weight Watchers diet, and if we could do this together it would be great. We understand the importance of not eating all your "points" in one meal and spreading them out. He also has a machine and checks his sugar every day very regularly. Is the Weight Watchers plan okay for him?

In our wellness/treatment facility, we offer Weight Watchers as one option for our patients seeking to lose weight. It is a balanced approach to weight loss/support, and works well for many of our patients with diabetes. In addition to the Weight Watcher's "point" system, your husband may benefit from the expertise of a dietitian/diabetes educator, who can adapt the "point" system to include carbohydrate management. He may also wish to discuss a specific plan for blood sugar monitoring around meals to ensure good control. Also, don't forget to include exercise in your weight loss plan!

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss