Question:

From Israel:

I have had diabetes for about 25 years, and I have retinopathy. I totally lost vision in one of my eyes, and I see about 50% with the other one. I'm working as a research biologist, and it's very difficult for me to see things during work. I need to live as normal working person in the job I like, so what can I do? I can't search for another job as my ophthalmologist is telling me because there is no work that doesn't need vision, and I like my work a lot.

Answer:

It sounds like the extent of your retinopathy is fairly severe. It is not possible to reverse the amount of vision loss. However, it is important to stabilize the vision you have remaining. This should be done in conjunction with your attending ophthalmologist. In addition, there are a number of low vision aids that are now available. Many eye clinics now have a special part of the clinic devoted to low vision. This would be the place you would discuss your vision requirements for your job and see if there are practical suggestions for addressing your needs.

DTQ-20031007114103A