Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

My 10 year old son has been on a pump for 15 months, and we love the difference using the pump has made for him. Now the manufacturer has offered their upgrade for a fee, but his current pump is working out well, and I am not sure if the updates would really do much for us. In your view, is the update worth the money?

Answer:

The decision to make the upgrade to the newest insulin pump model is an individual one. As a user myself, too am facing this option. There are some impressive advances to this most recent model, including a communication link between a glucose meter and the pump, bolus and correction calculators in the pump's software which provide suggestions for insulin dosing, the ability to program basal rates in 100th of a unit, and an alarm clock which can remind the wearer or caretakers of blood sugar checks.

Some pump users may find these particular options extremely helpful in assisting with intensive diabetes management. The manufacturer's expressed goal is to eventually link the pump to continuous glucose monitoring. Having the upgrade available is a wonderful option, particularly for the future proposed changes. You may wish to clarify the company's position on the length of time that the upgrade option will be available. Glad to hear that pumping is going well for your son and family.

DMW

Posted to Insulin Pumps