From Pakistan:

My daughter is currently taking premixed insulin ( 8 units in the morning and 4 units in the evening). Can you tell me about Lantus insulin? Is it effective for 24 hours? Do we have to mix it with any other insulin? Can I use this insulin for my daughter?

Lantus is a new insulin which covers basal insulin needs very evenly for the whole or almost the whole of 24 hours. It does not however cover the rise of blood sugar levels after meals so that it has to be combined with Humalog or NovoLog just after each meal which of course means four injections a day as Lantus has to be given once a day in the morning or at bedtime but as a separate shot.

You might talk to your daughter's doctor about this approach if it is available. However, your daughter's insulin needs seem quite small at the present which implies she may still be in the honeymoon period and dividing the present dose into four might give you additional difficulties with accurate measurement.

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

Lantus cannot be mixed with any other insulin.

Posted to Insulin Analogs