Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am very concerned about my son who was diagnosed about five months ago. Three months ago, a spot check of the urine showed that he was spilling protein. They told me they do a 24 hour urine test if the level is over a "20", and his was a "23". However, The 24 hour urine test was normal. We went our regular visit again yesterday, and this time, my son's urine protein was "42", so they are doing another 24 hour test.

The doctor keeps asking if he's really active, which he is, but not like a marathon runner. When I asked if the test are normal again, what else can be causing this, the answer I get is, let's wait to see what this says. Then, the doctor says not to lose any sleep over it. Well, I have definitely lost some sleep over this. Please tell me if people spill protein, and if this is normal. If it's not, and the 24 hour test comes back normal, what could this mean?

Answer:

It is highly unlikely that your son has anything wrong with his kidneys. We see traces of protein in the urine of newly diagnosed children all the time and assume it's due to the high filtration through the kidneys in the early stages of diabetes. Obviously, this should be followed, but unless still present at one year, I wouldn't investigate further.