From Nashua, New Hampshire, USA:

I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy. I just recently found out that I am five weeks pregnant, and I am already monitoring my sugars. I have had a few that were a little high (fasting: 114-139 mg/dl [6.4-7.7 mmol/L]; two-hour post- meal: 128-130 mg/dl [7.1-7.2 mmol/L]). Since this early in a pregnancy what are the expected fasting and two hour after meal readings? How bad are these readings for early pregnancy? Could these be controlled for the meantime with diet? Is there a possibility this could be type 2 diabetes? I cannot get to a doctor right away as I currently am uninsured until next month.

Your fasting blood sugar is elevated and some of the post meal values are high. The fasting should be 70-90 mmol/L [3.9-5 mg/dl], the one hour after a meal should be less than 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L] or less than 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] at two hours.

It is possible that you have type 2 diabetes. I would recommend that you have an early screening test. If it turns out to be normal, then it will have to be repeated at the usual time (24-28 weeks gestation). You should at least start a proper diet as you did during the last pregnancy. Try and get into the doctor as soon as possible for further evaluation. There are potential risks to the fetus from the elevated blood sugars which is why you should get your glucose under control as soon as possible.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes