Question:

From New Delhi, India.:

I have been feeling sickly for quite some time.I feel very thirsty all the time, urinate many times in a day, and even at night I often wake to urinate. I get hungry very fast, and I have a constant feeling of fever. All the people I tell about this condition tell me it could be diabetes.

I have taken a number of tests for diabetes but all were negative. I have taken other medical examinations but am always told I am okay. I am scared and confused because the doctors tell me I have clear symptoms of diabetes, but the tests do not detect any problem.What should I do? Is it possible to have diabetes which cannot be detected by medical tests?

Answer:

Whilst it is indeed possible to have diabetes in its very earliest stage and to have a normal fasting blood sugar with no glucose in the urine, it would be extremely unlikely though that this would be the diagnosis with all the symptoms you are having. So, you should ask your doctor whether there are other possibilities such as a urinary tract infection that need to be ruled out.