From Surrey, British Columbia, Canada:

I am a teenager with type 1 diabetes, I have been thinking about having sex, and I know that it is really not safe for anyone my age to get pregnant accidentally. What are the effects of birth control pills on blood sugars? Is it possible to get birth control pills in Canada without your parents' knowledge or permission?

Oral contraceptive pills may raise your blood sugar somewhat so you may need to increase your insulin somewhat. You are correct, that no one should get pregnant without planning it, and this is especially true for someone with diabetes who should plan at least six months in advance to have their blood sugars the best possible in order to have a healthy baby and healthy pregnancy.

I'm sorry, but I do not know the laws in Canada regarding minors and contraception. In the US, you can receive contraception without the permission of your parents. I do suggest you try to see a gynecologist to discuss the options for birth control before you become sexually active.

Additional comments from David S. Holtzman, Esq.:

I do not know the law in Canada relating to this issue. However, I feel comfortable in referring you to Planned Parenthood or its equivalent.

Posted to Family Planning and Other Social Issues