From Cape May Court House, New Jersey, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and my son is going to be five months old next week. When should I start getting him tested for diabetes?

It is not necessary to test a baby for diabetes just because of the family history of diabetes. If your baby has symptoms of diabetes, then it is prudent to have testing done. You may wish also to have testing for type 2 diabetes started at age 12 if your child develops additional risk factors for diabetes. See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children. It is critical to avoid obesity in later childhood and adolescence to minimize his risk for developing type 2 diabetes.