Question:

From Richland, Washington, USA:

After eating, both my 14 year old son and I get sleepy, hot/sweaty and weak within an hour. Both of us have gotten a nod from our doctor that we probably have hypoglycemia, but I thought that the symptoms took three to four hours to manifest It seems to happen seemingly no matter what we eat. Could you tell us if this has anything to do with our blood sugar levels?

Answer:

I am not sure, based on what you describe. Any diarrhea? That fact that particular foods do not seem to make a difference may be telling. I would consider "dumping syndrome" a phenomenon that can have similar symptoms and may be associated with glucose levels. Please contact your primary care doctor about further evaluation.