From Roxboro, North Carolina, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and am currently taking Zoloft, hydrochlorthiazide, Glucophage [metformin], Glucotrol, Norvasc, a coated aspirin, and Mobic. I have no energy, and I don't feel my best. Help me figure out what I should do about this.I am also morbidly obese.I asked my physician if I could have gastric bypass, but she said I could not because I had gastric stapling 16 years ago and a revision a year later. My husband is on dialysis, and I don't want both of us to be sickly.

I highly recommend that you consult with an endocrinologist as soon as possible to evaluate your diabetes control and your medication. I'll bet there is a lot of room for improvement and that better control will solve a lot of your issues, especially your lack of energy.

Additional comments from Joyce Mosiman:

It seems from your letter that you need to get some professional help from a dietitian who is familiar with diabetes and all the other medications you are on. You have a good start in that you want to be healthy. You would probably also benefit from getting an okay from your doctor to do some sort of exercise even if you are tired and don't feel your best.

There are many ways to lose weight, you will need to identify with your dietitian the best one for you. You might even explore weight loss groups to give you support. I hope you find some help with your plan to get healthy.

[Editor's comment: Be sure to ask if your doctor has checked your thyroid gland function (a simple blood test called TSH is what's usually done). And ask your doctor or pharmacist about which of your medications might be contributing to some of your symptoms or affecting your appetite. WWQ]

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss