From Akron, Ohio, USA:

I've been on an insulin pump for almost two years now, and I am interested in using a numbing cream for when I insert my infusion sets as it tends to sting some. Can you tell me what kind of creams are best? Will l it effect the insulin absorption? Is there a certain main ingredient I should look for and or stay away from?

We generally recommend EMLA cream (available by prescription) as it works well. The main downsides are the cost and the inconvenience of having to wait 15-30 minutes between applying the cream and inserting the set. Sometimes an ice cube can also numb the area prior to preparing the site for an insertion.

Posted to Insulin Pumps