From Tampa, Florida, USA:

I work for a healthcare organization, and we are being told that if we receive the 'FluMist' intranasal vaccination that we must be off work for 21 days because it contains a live strain of influenza. My son, who has type 1 diabetes, has already received his flu shot. I'm very concerned because of my employer's approach to this vaccination. Are there any risks if my son comes in contact with someone who has received the FluMist?

Interesting world. I know nothing of all this, but it's likely a scare tactic. I expect it is a money issue if you really get down to it (two doses at $50 plus vs one at $5 or so). I'm not offering it because of cost, and if I were the medical director of a managed care plan, I wouldn't offer it at all.

Posted to Other Medications