From Toronto, Canada:

I just heard that my father had a high blood sugar level (270 mg/dl [15 mmol/L]) and is in the early stages of diabetes. He always consumed a lots of sugar and I love my father so much that I need to know exactly what is that my father has. What stage is he in? What can my family do avoid the advancement of this illness?

It is good that you father found out that he has diabetes because he was eating poorly, and now he knows he has to learn how to eat healthier foods. If he gives up the sweets, he will probably see a big improvement in his blood sugar. What you and your father need to do is learn everything you can about diabetes treatment so that you can help your father control his blood sugar and reduce his chances of complications.

[Editor's comment: See Advice to new patients with Type 2 Diabetes at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2