Question:

From Augusta, Georgia, USA:

My eight year old grandson, who has diabetes, had a cholesterol level of 201 which is a bit higher than his doctor would like it to be. Do you have anything that would help me to incorporate lower cholesterol foods into the diet he is currently on?

Answer:

I would recommend that you schedule an appointment with an dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. As well as reviewing the current meal plan, he/she can suggest low fat foods/cooking techniques to assist with lowering your son's cholesterol. Meal plans for diabetes are more individualized nowadays to control sugars and cholesterol. Ask your physician for a referral to an RD if necessary.

JMS