Question:

From Bolton, Great Britain:

I do not have diabetes, but my mum is and some relatives on her side of her family do. What are the chances of diabetes affecting someone 16-21 years old? If I change my diet, will my chances of developing diabetes decrease?

Answer:

Several large studies have shown that you can reduce your chances of developing type 2 diabetes even if you are at high risk through diet and exercise by up to 58%. I suggest you not only try to follow a balanced healthy diet and keep your weight down, but also begin a regular exercise program.

JS

[Editor's comment: See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children and the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP). SS]

Posted to Genetics and Heredity and Research: Causes and Prevention