Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from November 2003

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 5-year-old daughter wears an insulin pump and uses NovoLog. She consistently has a high blood sugar one hour after breakfast as well as a high blood sugar two hours after breakfast. I have tried a higher insulin carb ratios to get a good 2 hour number, but when I do, she has a low number by lunch. I would just like to be able to get a good post prandial number without risking a serious low 3-4 hours later. (30 Nov 2003)

2. A friend of mine has had diabetes for almost 18 years. She was having problems with her stomach -- terrible stomach aches that would prevent her from eating or getting sick when she did eat. Her doctor said that she has nerve damage to her stomach as a direct result from complications from diabetes. Is it possible to get nerve damage to your stomach as a result of diabetes? (30 Nov 2003)

3. Does constant boils mean diabetes? (30 Nov 2003)

4. My three-year-old just recently had blood work at my request. Her sugar blood results indicated 73 mg/dl [4 mmol/l] but she was not fasting. The doctors told me she didn't need to fast and so I went to get breakfast for her and myself since she was very hungry. And 45 minutes later her blood work was done and it indicated 73. Could this be a indication of hypoglycemia? (30 Nov 2003)

5. We have a 10-year-old daughter with type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. She is having consistent problems with the arthritis and it seems the amount of inflammation in her blood (and the resultant Cortisol and hormone production) is causing major problems with her blood glucose levels to the point of being hospitalized three times in the last six weeks for ketoacidosis. As we are at a complete loss any help/advice would be appreciated. (30 Nov 2003)

6. My son has been unwell for some time. He is also more thirsty than usual and very irritable. Yesterday he had an appointment with a paediatrician. A routine urine sample showed that he had glucose and protein in his urine. The doctor told us he was probably diabetic, however a blood sugar test showed pretty normal at 5.7 mmol/l [103 mg/dl]. Should I be worried? (30 Nov 2003)

7. My friend is healthy as a horse. He doesn't have diabetes. We both work out and have taken steroids before. No more though. I was wondering what the side effects if any would be of taking insulin while working out. Does it have any effect on making the body look better? Will it help the body in any aspect of working out? (30 Nov 2003)

8. My son turned 14 in August and had grown only 3/4 of an inch in almost 2 years. His current height was 61 inches and weight was 112 pounds. We took him to a pediatric endocrinologist and blood work was done. One month later he went into DKA and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Given the high levels at the time he was diagnosed, shouldn't his glucose have been elevated when the short stature evaluation was preformed a month earlier? (30 Nov 2003)

9. My two year old son Max had been suddenly been drinking tons of fluid, urinating all the time and showing extreme irritability. Max was given a blood glucose and urine glucose test at the pediatrician's office. Urine was negative, blood glucose was 184 mg/dl [10.2 mmol/l]. His A1c was normal. He has only been symptomatic for about two weeks. Would that account for the normal A1c? (30 Nov 2003)

10. At this time we bring our grandson to Dartmouth Medical center. He sees a diabetes nurse 90% of the time. I am not even sure anymore who the diabetes doctor is. We could bring him to Boston and my question is, which hospital would his care be supervised better at? (30 Nov 2003)

11. My grandson says that he doesn't have to check his blood sugar before his football ball games. He tells me it's none of my business. His parents don't want me to interfere, they say, "He's ten years old, he has to figure it on his own." Any comments would be most helpful. (27 Nov 2003)

12. On October 1st, my 13 year old son experienced an episode of paralysis. From start to finish, it lasted about 4 hours. He got weak in his legs and progressed to complete paralysis within a short period of time. Could this scenario possibly indicate hypoglycemia? Could being hyperinsulinemic cause hypoglycemia? (27 Nov 2003)

13. What is the benefit of taking Glyburide 5mg and Metformin HCL 500mg at the same time? (27 Nov 2003)

14. I have been told that people with type 1 diabetes can control their condition with tablets before they reach the stage where insulin injections are necessary. Can you tell me what these tablets are and how they control the condition? (27 Nov 2003)

15. What can the effects be if this person does not get their insulin? Can this affect their moods? (27 Nov 2003)

16. I am very aware of the correlation between average blood glucose levels and the development of the complications of diabetes. However, are the complications of diabetes intrinsically linked? To what extent does the presence of one complication determine the likelihood of the development of other complications related to diabetes? (25 Nov 2003)

17. I would certainly like my son to have a little more spontaneity in his life and not live as rigidly as we have done for over a year with the two shot method. I am under the impression that you can be very flexible with the multiple shots. Since blood sugars are a little challenging to control during adolescence, what is the best approach, in your expert opinion, for keeping tighter control over blood sugars? (25 Nov 2003)

18. Recently, our local supermarkets and health-food stores have begun to stock an abundance of Atkins'-brand and other low-carb products. I've bought these for my own use, and my 13 and one-half year-old son. Are the carb counts on these labels accurate? Are these foods safe as an occasional snack for a growing teen? His post-prandial blood sugars seem to be stable using his carb-to-insulin ratio. (24 Nov 2003)

19. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, so I'd like someone else to validate these symptoms before I bother the doctor with an appointment. I think I may be diabetic, and would like to be checked, if you think it is worthwhile. (24 Nov 2003)

20. What happens to the blood sugar level when a couple of cookies are eaten? How long does the sugar stay in the body? How long before I rid myself of the "treat"? (24 Nov 2003)

21. My daughter (age 17) was just hospitalized for 16 days for E.Coli septicemia from a silent kidney infection. She had an A1C of 13 before admission (very non-compliant and VERY resistant to parental involvement for past 2 years despite a GREAT endo). Do we send her to a chronic illness program before she does further damage? (24 Nov 2003)

22. I have had diabetes for five years, have been on a insulin pump for four months, and I teach dance four nights per week. I check 7-10 times per day, and I am having high glucose readings after exercise. I am following my meal plan so I am frustrated as to why I'm having these highs when I start out in range. (23 Nov 2003)

23. My seven year old daughter has been having blood sugar swings for a year and a half now, but we have no answers. After a year her endocrinologist said she was fine, to quit testing her, and she did not have to see my daughter again. Now, three months later, my daughter still has high blood sugars. Do we need to seek another opinion? (23 Nov 2003)

24. My son had a rather large drop of blood and wanted to quickly retest the same drop of blood using a second test strip. He has now tried this experiment several times, always with the same result. The second reading is substantially higher. If the same drop of blood gives different results, can we trust our meter? (23 Nov 2003)

25. After consulting your database regarding the advances in the treatment and in the quest for a cure for diabetes, I have a number of questions. (23 Nov 2003)

26. For the last five months, my son has been taking 5.5 units of Lente mixed with 0.25-0.5 units of Humalog with breakfast, and 0.25-0.5 units of Humalog with dinner, but on occasion, he does not get the dinner shot. This past week, we have seen low glucose readings several times per day. Should we take him off insulin and see what happens? (23 Nov 2003)

27. I have had type 1 diabetes for 25 years (I am now 30) and am in pretty good control. I take Regular/NPH twice a day, plus extra insulin as needed. I am college educated with a BS in Health Science. I have been on my own now in the "working world" for approximately 10 years. I have had trouble in most if not all of my professional jobs due to my diabetes. I find it hard to maintain a good job with diabetes. I am looking for Career Guidance. (20 Nov 2003)

28. My daughter consumes 100 grams during the day, and 80 grams during the evening. She takes similar amounts of insulin for the morning and evening. Is it unusual for her to be taking the same amount of insulin for morning and evening? I'm hoping she is not dropping low and rebounding during the night. What time is the best time to check her during the night to monitor how she is doing? (20 Nov 2003)

29. My grandson gets two to three insulin shots a day. Lately, he has red round welts which eventually disappear. They don't seem to be itchy. They are the size of a "loony". We have tried not using alcohol swab to cleanse the area to see if this made a difference but it hasn't. What would be causing this redness? (20 Nov 2003)

30. I am a Type 2 diabetic, 40 year old male. I've had diabetes less than 5 years. I'm unable to gain weight. I'm 6' 2", 175 pounds. I have a high metabolism rate. How is it possible to eat low fat with a high enough caloric intake and not have most of the food carb out? (19 Nov 2003)

31. My 19-year-old son has had diabetes since he was seven years old. Here of late, his glucose levels have been very unstable. His doctor has increased his Lantus to 40 units from 28! My son feels like "walking" insulin. Is there anything different he can do in your opinion with his insulin dosages? Is this normal for a 19-year-old to go through? (19 Nov 2003)

32. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes a month ago. I know that she is still going through the honeymoon period, but I'm getting hope that she might make a full recovery from diabetes. Is that possible? Are there any things that she can do to remain in the honeymoon period longer? (19 Nov 2003)

33. For eighteen months, my daughter has suffered with what the neurologist calls vascular/migraine headaches of a chronic nature. Nothing offers relief from the pain, and her entire life is impacted. Can these be related to diabetes? I just can't believe there is no relief for my daughter. (14 Nov 2003)

34. My 16 month old cousin was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and her sugars are reading high. She is only getting 2.5 units of insulin, and I was wondering if she should be getting more. Tonight, the glucose meter was reading high, but she wasn't given any extra insulin to bring her sugars down. Is this normal? What is the protocol is for a child that age? (14 Nov 2003)

35. My brother just started his new medication of (Glucophage and Avandia), and his blood sugar is more than 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] most of the time. What can he do to control his blood sugar when it reaches more than 400 mg/dl [22.2 mmol/L]? (14 Nov 2003)

36. I am on a large amount of medication for type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I recently started the South Beach diet and am losing weight now, but my blood glucose levels have dropped, and my blood pressure has also dropped. Is this a normal occurrence? If not, how can I better regulate the medication? (14 Nov 2003)

37. My sister who has had type 2 diabetes for five years, has neuropathy and has had pancreatitis a few times. Recently, she has been in the hospital seven times because starts throwing up and can't stop. They get all of her levels back in order, but no one seems to know what causes this.. Have you ever heard of anyone having this? What could it be? (14 Nov 2003)

38. My doctor diagnosed me after a routine physical exam and blood work revealed that my glucose levels were "a little high" and the results of an oral glucose tolerance test. Do I really have diabetes? (14 Nov 2003)

39. When I regain full custody of my son, his medicaid coverage will also be terminated so I will have no choice but to return to the previous care provider. They don't provide the type of insulin he has recently been changed over to, and I have no faith in the previous care provider and his treatment plan. Is there any type of program or services that can assist me so I can keep his new doctor? (14 Nov 2003)

40. At present I am 28 years old, have been suffering from type 1 diabetes, and have been using insulin for somewhere around nine years or so. Now I am getting married, but unfortunately my fiancee does not know that I have diabetes, and I do not want my fiancee to know about it.. (14 Nov 2003)

41. I need to develop policies, procedures and standards for practice in my district, and we have a Kindergarten student on an insulin pump. I am trying to maintain that I am not authorized to train unlicensed personal to deliver insulin, but the parent seems to think the school should be obligated to provide a licensed person to deliver insulin as needed. (14 Nov 2003)

42. My son has type 1 diabetes, and I am very concerned about his safety at school. At times there is no nurse or any other trained professional in the building at all, and the school he attends refuses to administer glucagon for liability reasons. What kind of complications could be the result of waiting for the rescue team to administer it rather than giving it immediately? (13 Nov 2003)

43. In the past year, my dad has developed two ulcers due to his diabetes, one of which resulted in the amputation of his big toe. I have several questions. (13 Nov 2003)

44. I'm wondering about the different normal values used for diagnosing microalbuminuria. What happens when, using different units can result in fundamentally different results? (13 Nov 2003)

45. My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 15 months ago, wakes up in range, even if he is high at bedtime. Is this the honeymoon? Why does he not need any insulin over night? Could he have type 2, despite all of the antibodies and positive results that confirm he has type 1? Have you seen this before? (13 Nov 2003)

46. My seven year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and we do not have a pediatric specialist in our area, but we do have adult specialist. When can we expect to be able to see the adult specialist? (13 Nov 2003)

47. I was diagnosed with diabetes about four months ago, and I am as confused as when I started. e I feel so lost and alone right now. It is causing financial hardship, and some days I just don't have the strength to carry on. Although I work every day sometimes 12 hours, I stay exhausted. I don't even sleep at night. I wonder if I am still in the initial depression state. Should that part be over by now? (13 Nov 2003)

48. At my last visit to my son's endocrinologist we started discussing alternatives to finger prick blood tests. He mentioned that there was a noninvasive test now being researched that would possibly be able to test blood sugar levels by using the sound waves in the ear. I have not heard of this before. Do you know anything about this and where I might go to find out more? (11 Nov 2003)

49. I am a teaching parent who has taken in a 10 year old boy, and I have been told one of his behaviors is manipulating his blood sugar levels for attention. I keep all medications locked up, I watch him check his blood sugars, and I measure out his insulin and watch him do his injections properly. What more can I watch for? (11 Nov 2003)

50. My seven year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes eight months ago, started using an insulin pump two months ago. Her blood glucose readings fluctuated and basal studies could not be continued past three hours because the readings either went too high or low. Is there any other reason that would cause her basal insulin requirement to change so much? (11 Nov 2003)

51. In your experience, would there be a benefit to giving Lantus in the morning, rather than bedtime if a six year old with type 1 diabetes is having low early morning blood sugars? If so how would the change be made so there is not an abrupt switch? (11 Nov 2003)

52. My brother is waiting to get on dialysis, and they were going to insert a port to get him ready, but his sugar reading was very, and even though they were really concerned, they did not admit him to bring it down. So he has been home, and his sugar readings remain very high. Shouldn't he be in a hospital? (11 Nov 2003)

53. Recently my husband died so I now live alone. I have had increased hypoglycemic reactions, and the last one was the worst. I had a severe reaction during the night and was totally unable to treat the situation, but my blood glucose measured 107 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] by morning. What could happen during future episodes? Is death a possibility? (11 Nov 2003)

54. My son, who has been on a pump for the last year, started getting headaches and nausea in the afternoon that lead to vomiting, which wipes him out and he often sleeps until the next morning. This happens sometimes after a low but not all the time. We have suspected migraine headaches. Is it possible the pump or the insulin is making him sick? (11 Nov 2003)

55. I am a 17 year old who has diabetes, and I was wondering if there are any diabetic foods available to me. Are they of any benefit to me? In what way are they of benefit to me? (10 Nov 2003)

56. Three weeks before my son was diagnosed with diabetes, he took steroids. I am now concerned that it was perhaps the steroids which triggered my son's onset of diabetes and am inclined to avoid their use in my other child. Have any studies been done to examine the possible connection between steroids and the onset of diabetes in those genetically predisposed? (10 Nov 2003)

57. I'm a 13 year old who has had type 1 diabetes for 11 years now, and when my blood sugars are low I fail to wake from my sleep. I also have night terror fits. Recently I had a very low blood sugar which was treated, and afterwards I constantly felt a fear of feeling low blood sugar symptoms. Are these normal symptoms of diabetes? If not what could this possibly be? (10 Nov 2003)

58. My son, who has type 1 diabetes, has had a belly ache going on 15 days now, but no other symptoms to go with it. Any help you can give us will be appreciated. (10 Nov 2003)

59. My husband has had diabetes for at least eight years and I'm just waiting for disaster to happen. His blood sugars are elevated, and he only takes them when I bug him. His A1c is 8%, and he does not watch his diet at all. How many years does it take to damage the heart, eyes or nerves? (10 Nov 2003)

60. About nine months ago, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, but my doctor has reclassified my condition as type 2, and I have several questions. (10 Nov 2003)

61. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about three weeks ago, and there seems to be no cause and effect with her glucose levels. One day we give her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and her glucose count goes down, but the next day the sandwich can bring the glucose up 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]! Any suggestions? (10 Nov 2003)

62. My boyfriend has type 1 diabetes, and when we 'get active', he usually gets a hypo. Is there a way to prevent this happening? I have been looking around and so far haven't found anything that works. What can we do? (9 Nov 2003)

63. We have a one month old boy in our hospital with persistent hyperglycemia and increased random blood sugar. Can a hemoglobin A1c be done despite the young age of the patient? (9 Nov 2003)

64. I've been using an insulin pump for approximately three years, and lately I've been getting really frustrated with it, just from a range of minor annoyances. I was just wondering what new developments there have been in treatment regimens other than insulin pump therapy. (9 Nov 2003)

65. My ten year old son has frequent body odor, and it doesn't seem to matter if he wears deodorant or not.I have been told this could be a sign of diabetes. He is overweight, and sometimes lethargic but doesn't really have any of the other symptoms. Should we have his blood sugar levels tested? (9 Nov 2003)

66. On a normal day, my glucose reading is hardly ever over 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L], but, when I have to fast before a doctor's appointment, my sugar reading is sky high when I get my blood results back. I am confused and upset about this as my doctor keeps increasing my medication. Is it possible to have higher readings while fasting than on a regular schedule? What's a person to do? (8 Nov 2003)

67. My five year old son, who has had diabetes for two and a half years, just had his first seizure. Should we be watching for any other signs? Is it this more likely to happen now that he has had one? Is there reason to look at possible kidney problems and a suspect in this seizure ? (8 Nov 2003)

68. I'm hoping my seven year old daughter is not dropping low and rebounding during the night. What time is the best time to check her during the night to monitor how she is doing? (8 Nov 2003)

69. My teenager recently had a random urine test which showed a microalbumin of 93.6 mg/l, a creatinine of 199.3 mg/dl creatinine, and an albumin/creatinine ratio 47.0 mg/g, and I am trying to understand these numbers. Any clarification you could give us would be greatly appreciated. (8 Nov 2003)

70. Why shouldn't my son exercise if his blood sugar is above 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L], and he has ketones? (8 Nov 2003)

71. At age 34, I was diagnosed with PCOS, and since I have a strong family history the doctor thought I should be tested for diabetes. I was told I have type 2 diabetes on the basis of an oral glucose test, but I found this does not meet the criteria for diagnosis Could the doctor have made the diagnosis based on some other factor? Could I have been misdiagnosed? (8 Nov 2003)

72. Recently, I've established a new way to count carbs, which has worked rather well. My daughter consumes 100 grams during the day, 80 grams during the evening, and she takes similar amounts of insulin morning and evening. Is it unusual for her to be taking the same amount of insulin for morning and evening? (8 Nov 2003)

73. My daughter, who started on Lantus three months ago, experiences headaches almost everyday even though when she tests, it is not a hypo. Is it a side effect of Lantus? If so, what should my daughter do? (8 Nov 2003)

74. I am currently on Humalog before each meal and Lantus at bedtime, and I would really love to start using a pump, but don't want to wear it to certain occasions such as a prom. I heard of one person in a chat room who would sometimes (when needed) switch off the pump and take injections. Is this really possible? (7 Nov 2003)

75. A half a dozen members of my extended family have the hearing loss, and there have been just as many with type 1 diabetes (myself included). There are several other autoimmune conditions in my family too. Could there be any connection between type 1a diabetes and autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss? (7 Nov 2003)

76. My husband's fingers are pretty sore, and I would like to find a monitor that is good and requires less blood.. I have been looking at a couple, and I have heard that it is still better to test on your finger and not on the arm because of the results What is the best meter on the market today? (7 Nov 2003)

77. I was told in class that if my diabetes test shows that the level is below 7%, I can be taken off medication, and my last test was 7.5%. If I faithfully exercise and eat properly, is it possible I can be taken off medication one day? (7 Nov 2003)

78. Do you know of any blood glucose meters that either vibrate or flash instead of using beeping alarms? Are there are any plans to make GlucoWatch type products with a vibrate feature? This would be great for both those wanting discretion, and the large portion of people who have some degree of hearing loss/deafness. (7 Nov 2003)

79. I have had an insulin pump for two years, and for the past six months, my sites have been extremely red and itchy. I have tried different infusion sets and make sure I rotate my injection sites, but nothing is working! Could I have an allergy to the plastic tubing? (7 Nov 2003)

80. My 58 year old mother has type 2 diabetes, and when I have watched her test her blood sugar, and I can see how painful it is for her. I know she hates to prick herself and sometimes has some difficulty so she will avoid doing the test. Is there a product available that doesn't have that loud "snap" noise when pricking your finger? (7 Nov 2003)

81. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and was on a Humalog with Lantus regimen for three weeks, but I haven't needed anything since then. My glucose levels returned to normal, and it has been five weeks since I needed insulin injections. Does this sound like a transient case of diabetes or just rapid onset of the honeymoon? (7 Nov 2003)

82. My six year old has her regular diabetes check ups that unfortunately fall during school hours, and this year students who have perfect attendance get to go on a field trip every quarter to the movies, so now she does not want to go to her appointments because she doesn't want to miss out of a perfect attendance award with her friends. Are there any provisions for children with diabetes? (7 Nov 2003)

83. My 22 year old nephew, who has type 1 diabetes, has no health insurance and is extremely ill. My parents have taken him to the doctors, and he is receiving very little help. Do you have any ideas how we might get him the proper care soon? (7 Nov 2003)

84. My two and a half year old daughter drinks close to a gallon o water per day and has since she was small. The doctors checked her at age one, and they do not feel the need to check her again, because she has not lost/gained weight. Now I am trying to potty train her, and when I am timing it, she is going about every seven minutes. Could this be a sign of diabetes? (6 Nov 2003)

85. We go by the carbs listed on the side of the box of foods. If it says 5% alcohol sugar, what is that? I know that means it must have some type of sugar. Should we avoid those as well? (6 Nov 2003)

86. My doctor has recommended 50 mg of acarbose occasionally. He wants me to use it only when diet control is not possible in the dining hall and sweet intake is compulsory. Can taking 50 mg of acarbose occasionally be harmful? (6 Nov 2003)

87. My 13 year old son has type 1 diabetes which is presently has well managed at night by taking advantage of the peak of the bedtime NPH to address the increased insulin needs in the pre dawn hours. I am curious to know how this increased need would be managed using Lantus instead of NPH. Would not most patients with type 1 experience a spike in those pre-dawn hours? (6 Nov 2003)

88. A family member, who has type 2 diabetes and was in the hospital for a long stay, developed a bedsore on the buttocks, and we are looking for additional suggestions to help the healing. I saw that there is a gel for foot ulcers being looked at that helps healing. Would this be something that can be used in this situation? Any other suggestions? (6 Nov 2003)

89. My 12 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for about 10 months, suddenly started losing weight. She gained the weight back that she lost before being diagnosed, but in the last two months she has lost it all back again. Any advice will be appreciated. (6 Nov 2003)

90. Does Isomalt (a sugar substitute) have an effect on blood glucose levels ? (6 Nov 2003)

91. I had gestational diabetes during my three pregnancies, and, about eight months ago, during a severe UTI, they found a very high glucose level in my urine, but my blood test was negative. Lately, I've been tired and my feet ache. I'm not extremely thirsty or eating more, and I've always gone to the bathroom a lot. Should I push my doctor more to find out why I'm spilling a lot of sugar in my urine? (6 Nov 2003)

92. My brother has a tea that has already been tested in clinic overseas and lowers blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Do you have any advice as to how to get it tested here or perhaps how to market this? (5 Nov 2003)

93. I have type 2 diabetes treated with twice daily metformin and will will be starting the Muslim fasting month soon. We are to eat only at dawn and dinner at dusk. What do you advise? (5 Nov 2003)

94. My 12 year old daughter has had high blood sugar levels lately although she is keeping a tight schedule on everything and doing everything she needs to. Why is she having these high sugars? (5 Nov 2003)

95. My daughter's doctor has indicated that people diagnosed with diabetes at an early age do not grow to their potential. Can people with type 1 diabetes benefit from some type of hormone replacement/therapy to increase normal growth? (4 Nov 2003)

96. In an attempt to find low carb yet something with "bulk" to help fill our son up, we have come across labels with total carbohydrates as well as impact carbohydrates. Are the impact carbs included in the total carb count? How do impact carbs impact blood sugar numbers? What are the benefits or downfalls of impact carbs? (4 Nov 2003)

97. My boyfriend has warts under the head of his penis, and his primary care physician said that it can be due to his weak bladder and diabetes complications. We wanted to make sure that this is true. If it is, do you know of a way to cure them? Is it still safe to have sexual intercourse? (4 Nov 2003)

98. My 16 year old son has all of a sudden been having headaches and high blood pressure. He has gained about eight pounds in the past two years, he eats all the time, and he is always thirsty. His football trainer suggested having him tested for diabetes. Is this something I should do? If he is diagnosed with diabetes will this stop him from participating in sports? (4 Nov 2003)

99. Recently, the hospital that hospital that provides my Mixtard, is running low, so the doctor would like to change me to either Actrapid [Regular] or Monotard [NPH}. I heard they would switch back once the stock is restored. Is that sensible? Is there any formula for the interchange? (4 Nov 2003)

100. We are thinking of switching my son from NPH to Lantus, and I have several questions. (4 Nov 2003)

101. Is a cartridge considered "unopened" when the perforated compartment is not broken or when a syringe has not been inserted? (4 Nov 2003)

102. We live in California where the Governor just signed a bill approving research for finding a cure for diabetes. How will this motivate doctors and scientists to develop a cure? How close are we to finding a cure with the stem cell research? (3 Nov 2003)

103. I am 19 years old, I have type 2 diabetes treated with pills, and I have low blood sugar. I really would like to know if you think it will or could ever go away. I'm really scared about it. (3 Nov 2003)

104. My 10 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes approximately nine months ago, and I am curious to find out if there is a possible link between his diabetes and ongoing bladder control issues which began years before his diagnosis. Since the age of three to four, he has experienced nighttime wetting, daytime incontinence and sudden urgency to urinate. (3 Nov 2003)

105. Is it all right for someone with type 2 diabetes to soak the feet in epsom salts at the end of the day? (3 Nov 2003)

106. My 11 year old son has had type 1 diabetes for less than a year, and I am at a loss in understanding the rapid rise and fall in blood glucose, within an hour long duration, he seems to have as a result of excitement. Could adrenaline or something else be causing a false high reading? In this type of adrenaline event, can the body make use of and lower blood glucose without insulin? (3 Nov 2003)

107. What is the effect of obesity on type 2 diabetes in a school age child? (3 Nov 2003)

108. My son has diabetes, and last night, my husband and I noticed that our daughter has been thirsty a lot. So, I tested her blood sugar about an hour after dinner, and it was 175 mg/dl [9.7 mmol/L]. We tested her this morning and it was 102 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L] fasting and 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] two hours after her breakfast. Is that normal? (3 Nov 2003)

109. Is is legal for an insurance company to deny benefits to a child with diabetes citing "pre-existing condition"? What should I do to insure my child when our health plan runs out? (2 Nov 2003)

110. I'm 28 years old, and I have proliferative diabetic retinopathy. My husband and I decided not to have baby if I'm going to lose any more vision. Now I need to make a decision my self as to whether or not to have a baby. If I get pregnant, how is it going to affect my vision? (2 Nov 2003)

111. My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago, and the doctor mentioned that at this stage her immune system had destroyed about 80% of her pancreas. Is there anything that can be done to maintain the other 20%? (2 Nov 2003)

112. I went through a terrible period in my adolescence and early adulthood taking care of my diabetes. I feel I was depressed, felt I would die young no matter what, and I feel as if I gave up. Recently though, I have an overwhelming desire to live, I am desperate to live well, and I want to grow old with my wife to be. I have several questions. (2 Nov 2003)

113. We are currently researching insulin pumps for our son. Although I can find technical comparisons of the various pumps, I am amazed that there seem to be no head-to-head functional comparisons of the most popular pump models. Are you aware of any such study, planned or in progress? (2 Nov 2003)

114. A friend's 12 year old son uses a pump. He is allowed to eat whatever he wants and a lot of it from what I see. He is very overweight and is about to begin growth hormone treatment. His parents tell me he can eat what he wants because "that is what the pump is for" -- is that true? (2 Nov 2003)

115. I'm having diabetes complication tests. What is involved? (2 Nov 2003)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts