Question:

From Pine, Arizona, USA:

I am 5 feet 7 inches tall and weigh 150 pounds. I have no immediate family history of diabetes, I exercise moderately, and I eat once to twice per day. I'm not a big drinker (maybe a glass of water and one to two sodas per day), and I don't consume coffee or alcohol. I have always gone to the bathroom at least four times a night, and I can't go to town without having to go to the bathroom at least three times. I had gestational diabetes during my three pregnancies, and all the babies were under 8 pounds.

About eight months ago, I had a severe UTI, and they also found a very high glucose level in my urine. I had the finger prick, but they never did find glucose in my blood. My doctor told me I didn't have diabetes, so he did an ultrasound to check my kidneys and pancreas which was negative. That was the end of it, and I didn't worry about it.

For about two months I'm guessing, not real sure, I have been zoning out. My friends tell me I'm like in a fog. It takes a few minutes to clear my head, then I'm back. I didn't realize I was actually doing this until about a week ago when I started putting it all together.

For the last week (maybe two), I have become extremely tired, and I can't move, It hits me around four or five o'clock in the evening, and I put it down to old age. The other weird thing I have been having for a long time is that my feet ache and tingle. Every night my feet hurt so bad its hard to sleep.

I started reading about diabetes and then started thinking about the sugar in my urine, but I'm not extremely thirsty or eating more, and I've always gone to the bathroom a lot. Should I push my doctor more to find out why I'm spilling a lot of sugar in my urine? Could it be something else.

Answer:

I would discuss this with your physician. There are other reasons for some of your symptoms. Tiredness, numbness, muscle aches can be indications for other endocrine disorders such as hypothyroidism. Your physician can order the appropriate tests for either diabetes or thyroid disease.

Other problems could be muscle disorders, or neurological disorders. I would definitely discuss this seriously with your doctor.

ABS