From Hampton, New Brunswick, Canada:

My 13 year old son has type 1 diabetes which is presently has well managed at night by taking advantage of the peak of the bedtime NPH to address the increased insulin needs in the pre dawn hours. I am curious to know how this increased need would be managed using Lantus instead of NPH. Would not most patients with type 1 experience a spike in those pre-dawn hours?

With NPH, you have to be careful and hope the peak occurs at the right time in the night. Do you really know the glucose is okay in the dead of the night and not low?

With Lantus, I am comfortable with a much lower bedtime glucose, a very small snack and then lower glucose in the morning. I now see and accept glucoses below 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L] in the morning using Lantus.