From Omaha, Nebraska, USA:

I have had an insulin pump for two years, and, for the past six months, my sites have been extremely red and itchy. I have tried different infusion sets and make sure I rotate my injection sites, but nothing is working! Could I have an allergy to the plastic tubing?

It sounds like this could be an allergy either to the tape, the plastic of the infusion sets (or rarely the insulin being used itself). You should review this with your diabetes team and see if they can suggest some alternative sets, manufacturers or insulin.

If you are allergic to insulin and changing to a different brand doesn't work, sometimes insulin desensitization can also be used. Also sometimes a very small amount of hydrocortisone in the insulin will work, but this would be unlikely if the problem is the catheter or tubing or dressing. Using an antihistamine -- especially one of the stronger older ones like diphenhydramine -- may also sometimes help.

Posted to Insulin Pumps