Question:

From New Zealand:

Do you know of any blood glucose meters that either vibrate or flash instead of using beeping alarms? Are there are any plans to make GlucoWatch type products with a vibrate feature? This would be great for both those wanting discretion, and the large portion of people who have some degree of hearing loss/deafness. I know pumps already have this option, which is great, but is anyone else responding to this need?

Answer:

I do not know of any other meters that have the feature of a buzzing or flashing display. Theoretically, you should be able to see the number of the display. As you indicate, several insulin pumps now commercially available have buzzers with them to alert people when a malfunction occurs. Since some of the pumps will also be tied to meters, these could possibly set to buzz with a low level. However, no mainstream products have this feature.

DTQ-20031103010938B