Question:

From Washington, DC, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and was told in diabetes class that if my diabetes test shows that the level is below 7%, I can be taken off medication, and my last test was 7.5%. If I faithfully exercise and eat properly, is it possible I can be taken off medication one day?

Answer:

It depends. If you are overweight and lose weight that will increase your chances of not needing or needing less medication. Only time will tell.

Lowering your hemoglobin A1c (whether with insulin, pills, or without them) will lower your chance of complications.

JS

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2