From Tampa, Florida, USA:

I am currently on Humalog before each meal and Lantus at bedtime, and I would really love to start using a pump, but don't want to wear it to certain occasions such as a prom. I heard of one person in a chat room who would sometimes (when needed) switch off the pump and take injections. Is this really possible?

You should discuss insulin pump use in great detail with your diabetes team. They would be able to give you the best individualized perspective of whether or not pump treatment would be useful for you based on your current glucose control, what problems you have or don't have, what new knowledge you would need to get, which books/pamphlets to use and also whether or not switching between pump and a basal/bolus program would be possible for you.

Remember that Miss America wore a pump during her pageant days and with all her extensive lecturing and traveling schedule -- and still wears a pump -- all with swimsuit contests, eating in restaurants and hotels, airline schedules, evening gowns, etc. Once your goals are defined and you understand what the pump does or doesn't do, then you can decide with your diabetes team how to proceed.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Insulin