Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

Recently, I've established a new way to count carbs, which has worked rather well. My daughter consumes 100 grams during the day, 80 grams during the evening, and she takes similar amounts of insulin morning and evening. Is it unusual for her to be taking the same amount of insulin for morning and evening?

Answer:

A reasonable insulin dosing schedule will result in a hemoglobin A1c that is in the 7.0 - 8.0% range for a 6-12 year old. Aiming for a goal of 7.0% will minimize her risk for long-term complications of diabetes. A reasonable insulin dosing schedule will also minimize the amount of lability or unexpected high and low blood sugars. There are many creative and varied ways to dose insulin. I would judge the success of the insulin dosing based on the expectations I've listed above.

DTQ-20031103081527A