Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I've been using an insulin pump for approximately three years, and lately I've been getting really frustrated with it, just from a range of minor annoyances (sites falling out, random lows that don't have patterns, mechanical problems etc.). I was just wondering what new developments there have been in treatment regimens other than insulin pump therapy. I am in my first year of university, so I'm specifically looking for options that could be adapted for a flexible lifestyle. I'm sure you'll reinforce the qualities of the pump, but I really just need alternative solutions.

Answer:

The use of Lantus and Humalog or NovoLog has improved the basal/bolus regimens and improved the flexibility of the regimen for your lifestyle. There are newer insulins to be developed in the next two years (basal insulin and newer short-acting analogs). Additionally, newer catheters for insulin pump use are being tried. I would discuss these alternatives with your physician or specialist.

ABS