From Cleveland, Ohio, USA:

My husband has had diabetes for at least eight years and I'm just waiting for disaster to happen. His blood sugars are 180-200 mg/dl [10-11.1 mmol/L], and he only takes them when I bug him. His hemoglobin A1c is 8%, and he does not watch his diet at all. How many years does it take to damage the heart, eyes or nerves?

You are right. If your husband continues to have high sugars he will greatly increase his chances of complications. He has already had diabetes for eight years that he knows about and who knows how many years that he was not yet diagnosed. Nagging is probably not the best strategy; he is more likely to listen to a diabetes educator and/or an endocrinologist. Your husband needs diabetes education and management so that he can learn how to control his diabetes.