Question:

From Ireland:

I am a 17 year old who has diabetes, and I was wondering if there are any diabetic foods available to me. Are they of any benefit to me? In what way are they of benefit to me?

Answer:

Diabetes meal planning nowadays allows all foods to be incorporated. There is not as much need for special foods for people with diabetes to be worked into a meal plan. All foods can be worked into a meal plan with more attention paid to total amount of carbohydrate rather than the source of carbohydrate. There are some foods that are better to use in a diabetes meal planning (i.e., diet soda vs regular sodas, low sugar jelly vs. regular jelly and lite syrup vs. regular syrup). Meal planning is more practical with real foods today. Speak with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning if you have further questions

JMS