From Byhalia, Mississippi, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for over 30 years, and recently my husband died so I now live alone. I have had increased hypoglycemic reactions, and the last one was the worst. I had a severe reaction during the night and was totally unable to treat the situation. I could not move or speak. I laid, soaked and cold, for hours and my blood glucose measured 107 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L] by morning. I am doing all I can to avoid any further episodes but I wonder, will my body "kick in" and take care of itself or what could happen during future episodes? Is death a possibility?

I am sorry about your loss. It is going to be important for you to work with your physician in order to avoid future episodes of low sugars. Although blood sugars eventually rise with severe hypoglycemic reactions, it is possible for you to have a seizure, aspirate, and die with a low sugar. It can be a serious situation. With no one around to look after you, it is important for you to monitor your blood sugar frequently, work with your physician, and avoid lows.