From Montana, USA:

I submitted a question concerning the removal of my son by social services. I'm happy to inform you that, although this was a very trying time for both my son and me, positive results came out of this. He was placed on Medicaid while under social services care, and they agreed to refer us to a pediatrician who specializes in type 1 diabetes. The result was wonderful; he was placed on different insulin, his blood sugar readings improved a great deal, and he received far better care and attention than with his previous doctor. Social services returned him and will soon be turning full custody back to me.

The problem is, when I regain full custody, his medicaid coverage will also be terminated because I am low income (not low enough for medicaid coverage), so I will have no choice but to return to the previous care provider (Indian Health Service). They don't provide the type of insulin he has recently been changed over to (Humalog and Lantus), and I have no faith in the previous care provider and his treatment plan. I feel threatened by the provider because I'm afraid if I don't follow his plan, I'll end up with another referral to social services, and my son may be removed again.

Is there any type of program or services that can assist me somehow in retaining some type of Medicaid coverage so I can keep his new doctor? We are very happy with his new provider, and my son's diabetes has improved (latest hemoglobin A1c:7.5%).

I have a couple of ideas. First, have a copy of your son's medical records for the period he was treated by the "good" doctor sent over to the IHS provider. Maybe with proof of the improvement in his health, the IHS doctor will be willing to continue the same treatment regimen. Second, I tried to learn if the reason your son was not offered Humalog or Lantus by the IHS provider was because IHS has a set formulary of drugs that they are allowed to use. I could not find the answer because the person who could tell me would not return my telephone call.