From, USA:

I am a 44 year old female. who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two years ago. My doctor diagnosed me after a routine physical exam and blood work revealed that my glucose levels were "a little high" (115 mg/dl [mmol/L]). She ordered an oral glucose tolerance test done (three hours, 75 grams) which yielded the following results:

Time       Blood Glucose   
Fasting 97 mg/dl [5.4 mmol/L]
30 Minutes 220 mg/dl [mmol/L]
One Hour 218 mg/dl [12.1 mmol/L]
Two Hours 219 mg/dl [12.2 mmol/L]
Three Hours 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L]

Because of this, my physician said I have diabetes and wanted to put me on Glucophage right away, but I resisted to see how my levels were first. I am not under any other medications at this time, I have lost about 30 pounds since my diagnosis, am eating a more healthily (switched to diet sodas, and limit sweets). My fasting levels have been around 85-102 mg/dl [4.7-5.7 mmol/L] for over six months, and sometimes my levels do go up around 169 mg/dl [9.4 mmol/L] two hours after eating. My last A1c was 5.5%. I have several questions:

1. Do I really have diabetes?
  2. If so, how long may I keep my levels within normal ranges?
  3. Did my doctor happen to catch it early and the weight loss made me go into remission?
  4. Am I a "typical" person with diabetes -- diagnosed with the oral glucose tolerance test early-on, with normal fasting levels, and it'll just progress as time goes on?
  5. What am I to believe so I understand it all?
  6. I've been reading all I can about diabetes and haven't come across any information about people with type two diabetes who have normal fasting levels. I know with the fasting glucose test, I could be classified as "Glucose Impaired, " or "Pre-Diabetic, " but was I classified as having diabetes because of the OGTT?

I just want to understand this better! Someone told me some people who have diabetes can have normal fasting levels for up to 10 years, then things may worsen. When I ask my doctor these questions, she just tells me I am in good control, but I don't feel like I've made real major changes.This makes it easy to go into denial.

You answered your own question correctly. You are one of the lucky ones who found out you have diabetes sooner rather than later and began to follow a healthier lifestyle to control it. Since diabetes is a progressive illness, you will probably need some medication over time to get the same results you are achieving now just by losing some weight. You would also benefit from visiting a diabetes educator to go over the details of diabetes management such as meal planning, physical activity, foot care and so forth.

[Editor's comment: To help you understand a little better, the diagnosis of diabetes is made when the two-hour value during an oral glucose tolerance test is greater than 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]; yours was 219 mg/dl [12.2 mmol/L]. Please see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. SS]