Question:

From Juneau, Alaska, USA:

I am on a large amount of medication for type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. I have consulted a dietitian only to have my weight increase I recently started the South Beach diet and am losing weight now. However, my blood glucose levels have gone from 120-375 mg/dl [6.7-20.8 mmol/L] to below 85 mg/dl [4.7 mmol/L], and my blood pressure has also dropped from an average of 160/100 to 100/60. Is this a normal occurrence? If not, how can I better regulate the medication?

Answer:

It is important to know that weight loss is associated with a need to decrease medications for blood sugar and blood pressure. It is important for you to discuss this with your physician and obtain instruction on which medications might be adjusted.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2